Kids Kamp – Now accepting kamper applications!
Does your child love animals? Do they want to learn more about our shelter and the important work of caring for homeless animals?
Each summer La Plata County Humane Society offers kids ages 11-15 a fun and educational opportunity to work with animals. Kampers have hands on learning opportunities with variety of pets and learn the importance of how to care for animals, be responsible pet owners and help to make our community a safer place for all animals. View 2018 Kids Kamp Moments on Flickr.
Kamp activities include:
– Dog socializing
– Cat socializing
– Dog training
– Dog anatomy & chiropractic care
– Presentation by one of our Animal Protection Officers
– Field trip to Durango Dog Ranch
Kampers also get to observe our Veterinarian and medical staff in the shelter’s clinic. Here they get to learn about the important life-saving programs that help animals in need.
2019 Summer Kamp Dates (Cost $175/per Kamp)
3 kamps/45 kids/15 kids accepted in each kamp on a first come, first serve basis.
- June 10th – 13th FULL – Add your name to our wait list
- July 15th – 18th FULL – Add your name to our wait list
- August 12th -15th FULL – Add your name to our wait list
Kamp begins promptly at 10:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m. daily (please arrive at 9:30 a.m. on the first day for orientation.) We ask that you to arrange reliable & timely transportation for your child at the conclusion of each kamp day.
Be sure your kamper is prepared to bring:
– Packed lunch and water bottle each day
– ONLY wear closed toed shoes
– Jacket in case of weather
– Signed copy of Liability & Photo Release Form on 1st day of kamp!
To register, please sign up for you kiddos kamp online (below) or at the shelter! 15 kids will be accepted into each kamp on a first come, first serve basis. Kids will be added to the wait list when kamps are full.
- June Kamp – FULL
- July Kamp – FULL
- August Kamp – FULL
For more information, contact Kamp Administrator Emily Phillips at email@example.com or by phone at (970) 259-2847 x112