Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, we have decided to cancel this year’s biggest adoption event to ensure the safety of our team and community. Parents will be contacted and provided a full refund for kids registered.
Does your child love animals? Do they want to learn more about our shelter and the important work of caring for homeless animals?
Each summer La Plata County Humane Society offers kids ages 11-15 a fun and educational opportunity to work with animals. Kampers have hands on learning opportunities with variety of pets and learn the importance of how to care for animals, be responsible pet owners and help to make our community a safer place for all animals.
Kamp activities include:
– Dog socializing
– Cat socializing
– Dog training
– Dog anatomy & chiropractic care
– Presentation by one of our Animal Protection Officers
– Meet our Foster Coordinator and learn the importance of our Foster Care Program
– Meet our Veterinarian and medical staff in the shelter’s clinic, where they will get to observe our team perform life-saving surgeries
– Field trip to Durango Dog Ranch
2020 Summer Kamp Dates (Cost $175/per Kamp)
2 kamps/30 kids/15 kids accepted in each kamp. Due to the high popularity of our summer kamps, we are accepting first time kampers. Returning kampers will be placed on a wait list and later pulled in a lottery. To help accommodate the number kiddos interested in joining the fun, please only sign your kiddo up for only one kamp. To add your returning kamper name to the waitlist, email Emily Phillips, Marketing & Development Manager
- June 22-25 – CANCELLED due to COVID-19 uncertainty
- July 27-30 – CANCELLED due to COVID-19 uncertainty
Kamp begins promptly at 10:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m. daily (please arrive at 9:30 a.m. on the first day for orientation.) We ask that you to arrange reliable & timely transportation for your child at the conclusion of each kamp day.
Be sure your kamper is prepared:
– Apply sunscreen prior to the start of kamp
– Bring packed lunch and water bottle each day
– Wear ONLY closed toed shoes
– Jacket in case of weather
– Provide any medications or instructions for care if your child has any medical conditions
– Signed copy of Liability & Photo Release Form on 1st day of kamp
To register, please sign up below or at the shelter! 15 kids will be accepted into each kamp
- June Kamp – CANCELLED due to COVID-19 uncertainty
- July Kamp – CANCELLED due to COVID-19 uncertainty
Download 2020 Kids Kamp Application if you plan to register at the shelter. Email application to Kamp Administrator, Emily Phillips. For more information, contact Kamp Administrator Emily Phillips by email or phone at (970) 259-2847 x112.