How To Adopt
Thank you for considering adopting from La Plata County Humane Society! You are not only finding a new family member, but you are giving an animal a second chance at a new life.
We are here to help find you a companion that is the perfect fit for you and your family. You can browse our kennels and speak with one of our experienced adoption counselors regarding your preferences, temperament, lifestyle and household. They will then help match you to your new furry family member. Bringing home a pet is an exciting time for everyone involved, for yourself and your family, but also for your new four legged companion.
Before you begin your journey, be sure you can answer “yes” to the questions below:
• Are you at least 21 years old?
• Do you have a valid photo ID with current address? (If your current address is not listed on your ID, you will need to provide a current utility bill or payment stub with your name and current address for verification)
• Do you reside where pets are welcome? (If you rent, landlord approval is required. Find out about pet deposits and fees prior to adopting)
• Are you able to care for the animal? It is an investment in time and money, so consider feeding, grooming, training, supplies and providing regular veterinary care.
Prior to adoption, think about what type of pet you would like to adopt. Are you ready to bring the pet home? Gather the goods: food, collar/tags, toys, beds and grooming supplies. Give yourself plenty of time to visit the shelter, meet with pet you are interested in adopting, and complete the application. The adoption process can take an hour or more depending on the animal. We also perform a required “meet n’ greet” with any current pet/s you have. Your patience is appreciated during the adoption process.
The Adoption Process:
1. Visit our shelter or view our online listings of available pets. Don’t forget your photo ID! If you are interested in a pet, but need time to think it over, you may request to place the animal on a 24 hr hold. The hold is an additional $20.00 and does not count toward the adoption fee.
Note: Please arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to closing if you are interested in adopting a pet.
2. Meet with one of our adoption counselors to discuss the pet you are considering. They will help guide you in finding the perfect match for your family. If you’re adopting a dog and already have a dog living in your home, you will need to bring your dog/s in for a required “meet n’ greet”.
3. After you have found your new companion, stop by our front desk and ask one of our staff members for an Adoption Application or submit an online application. You will need to complete the application in entirety and a photo ID is required.
4. Once the application is approved, you will pay the adoption and license fee and in most cases you can leave with your new family member right away.
5. Congratulation on your new family member! Please keep us updated; we love to hear from our adopters and how our alumni are doing. You can email your adoption updates and photos to Emily Phillips, Marketing & Development Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A physical examination & behavior assessment is preformed prior to adoption
• Spay/neuter surgery
• Current vaccinations, including rabies
• Microchip implant and registration
• Free 30 day pet insurance provided by 24PetWatch
• 10 day shelter illness coverage
• Post adoption behavior and training class
• Adoption literature
Not included, but are available for purchase:
• Cat carrier (we require all cats leave the in a carrier) – $8
• ID tags – Small $ 9 Large $10
• Collars and leashes – prices range in size, see our selection in our reception area
• Heartworm Test – $45
• Feline Leukemia Test – $35
• DNA test – $89
0-6 months: $149 and up
7 months and older: $99 and up
Small Breed Dogs
0-6 months: $199 and up
7 months and older: $149 and up
Over 4 years old: $99 and up
MEET OUR DOGS
0-6 months: $69
7 months and older: $39
MEET OUR CATS
Special Adoption Programs
We offer special adoption programs year-round to help adopt pets who may have a longer wait time then others. Qualified adopters will receive waived adoption fees and the joy of giving a deserving pet a loving home.
Older individuals enjoy many benefits that come with sharing your life with a pet. Studies show that owning a pet can reduce stress, lower blood pressure, ease loneliness and depression, increase physical activity, and in turn, improve overall health. A calm and quiet environment is the perfect home for an older animal in need of a loving companion.
Our Seniors-For-Seniors Adoption Program is open to adopters who are 60 years of age or older. One of our adoption counselors will help you select a dog or cat who is 7 years old or older, who will fit in with your lifestyle and housing situation. The adoption fee is waived.
Your adoption includes all the regular benefits; spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, a microchip (includes registration), free 30 day pet insurance, 10 day shelter illness coverage, post behavior and training class and adoption literature.
For more information, call (970) 259-2847 or visit La Plata County Humane Society and let us know that you are interested in our Senior-For-Seniors Program.
Pets For Vets
This program is dedicated to supporting military veterans and provides a second chance for homeless animals by pairing them with veterans who could benefit from a companion animal.
One of our adoption counselors will help you select a dog or cat who will fit in with your lifestyle and housing situation. The adoption fee is waived.
Your adoption includes all the regular benefits: spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, a microchip (includes registration), free 30 day pet insurance, 10 day shelter illness coverage, post behavior and training class and adoption literature.
For more information, call (970) 259-2847 or visit La Plata County Humane Society and let us know that you are interested in our Pets for Vets Program.