How To Adopt
*Due to COVID-19, all adoptions and services are by appointment only.
Thank you for considering adopting from La Plata County Humane Society! You are not only finding a new family member, but you are giving an animal a second chance at a new life. If you are interested in a pet for adoption, you will need to first submit an online cat adoption application or download a printable cat application and/or online dog adoption application or download a printable dog application.
We are here to help find you a companion that is the perfect fit for you and your family. You can browse our website for current adoptable pets, speak with one of our experienced adoption counselors regarding your preferences, temperament, lifestyle and household. They will then help match you to your new furry family member. Bringing home a pet is an exciting time for everyone involved, for yourself and your family, but also for your new four legged companion.
Before you begin your journey, be sure you can answer “yes” to the questions below:
• Are you at least 21 years old?
• Do you have a valid photo ID with current address? (If your current address is not listed on your ID, you will need to provide a current utility bill or payment stub with your name and current address for verification)
• Do you reside where pets are welcome? (If you rent, landlord approval is required. Find out about pet deposits and fees prior to adopting)
• Are you able to care for the animal? It is an investment in time and money, so consider feeding, grooming, training, supplies and providing regular veterinary care.
Prior to adoption, think about what type of pet you would like to adopt. Are you ready to bring the pet home? Gather the goods: food, collar/tags, toys, beds and grooming supplies. Give yourself plenty of time to visit the shelter, meet with pet you are interested in adopting, and complete the application. The adoption process can take an hour or more depending on the animal. We also perform a required “meet n’ greet” with any current pet/s you have. Your patience is appreciated during the adoption process.
The Adoption Process:
*Due to COVID-19, all adoptions and services are by appointment only.
1. View our online listings of available pets. If you are interested in a pet for adoption, you will need to first submit an online cat adoption application or download a printable cat application and/or online dog adoption application or download a printable dog application. Make sure to include a copy of a valid photo ID and proof of address. We can place an animal on “hold” for $20/per day. The cost of the “hold” is a separate fee and is not included in the adoption fee. Your application must be approved prior to requesting a “hold” on an animal.
2. Once your online cat adoption application or download a printable cat application and/or online dog adoption application or download a printable dog application has been reviewed and approved, a shelter team member will call you to set up an appointment. Our cattery and kennels are currently closed to the public and all adoptions are by appointment only. Once you arrive at our shelter, please call 970-259-2847 from your car and one of our team members will provide you instructions. You will then meet with the pet you’re interested in adopting and one of our adoption counselors, who will will help guide you in finding the perfect match for your family. Dog appointments are held outside and cat appointments are held in the cattery. If you’re adopting a dog and already have a dog living in your home, you will need to bring your dog(s) in for a required “meet n’ greet” before final adoption is approved.
4. If the pet is a match, you will complete the final adoption paperwork, pay the adoption fee and $10 license fee (all dogs are required by law to be licensed La Plata County). In most cases you can leave with your new family member right away. Cats are required to leave in a humane carrier and dogs are required to leave with a leash and collar. Please remember to bring your own cat carrier, dog collar and leash when you arrive at the shelter. If you do not have these items, we have these items available for purchase.
5. Congratulation on your new family member! Please keep us updated; we love to hear from our adopters and how our alumni are doing. Email our team your adoption updates!
• A physical examination & behavior assessment is performed prior to adoption
• Spay/neuter surgery
• Current vaccinations, including rabies
• Microchip implant and registration
• Free 30 day pet insurance provided by 24PetWatch
• 7 day shelter illness coverage
• Post adoption behavior and training class
• Adoption literature
Not included, but are available for purchase:
• Cat carrier (we require all cats leave the in a carrier) – $8
• ID tags – $10.99
• Collars and leashes – prices range in size, see our selection in our reception area
• Heartworm Test – $45
• Feline Leukemia Test – $35
• E collar (the cone) – $5
0-6 months: $199 and up
7 months and older: $99 and up
Over 7 years old: $49 and up
Small Breed Dogs
0-6 months: $249 and up
7 months and older: $149 and up
Over 4 years old: $99 and up
MEET OUR DOGS
0-6 months: $79
7 months and older: $49
Over 7 year sold: $29
MEET OUR CATS
If you are interested in a pet for adoption, submit a online cat adoption application or download a printable cat application and/or online dog adoption application or download a printable dog application.
Special Adoption Programs
We offer special adoption programs year-round to help adopt pets who may have a longer wait time then others. Qualified adopters will receive waived adoption fees and the joy of giving a deserving pet a loving home.
Older individuals enjoy many benefits that come with sharing your life with a pet. Studies show that owning a pet can reduce stress, lower blood pressure, ease loneliness and depression, increase physical activity, and in turn, improve overall health. A calm and quiet environment is the perfect home for an older animal in need of a loving companion.
Our Seniors-For-Seniors Adoption Program is open to adopters who are 60 years of age or older. One of our adoption counselors will help you select an adult dog or cat 7 years of age or older (puppies and kittens not included) who will fit in with your lifestyle and housing situation. The adoption fee is 50% off.
Your adoption includes all the regular benefits; spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, a microchip (includes registration), free 30 day pet insurance, 10 day shelter illness coverage, post behavior and training class and adoption literature.
For more information, call (970) 259-2847 or visit La Plata County Humane Society and let us know that you are interested in our Senior-For-Seniors Program.
Pets For Vets
This program is dedicated to supporting military veterans and provides a second chance for homeless animals by pairing them with veterans who could benefit from a companion animal.
One of our adoption counselors will help you select an adult dog or cat (puppies and kittens not included) who will fit in with your lifestyle and housing situation. Adopter must interview with the Director of Animal Services. The adoption fee will then be 50% off pending in-person interview and approval by the Director of Animal Services.
Adoption includes all the regular benefits: spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, a microchip (includes registration), free 30 day pet insurance, 10 day shelter illness coverage, post behavior and training class and adoption literature.
For more information, please call Chris Nelson, Director of Animal Services at (970) 259-2847 x104 or visit La Plata County Humane Society and let us know that you are interested in our Pets for Vets Program.