Baby Shower May 1st – May 8th!
Our Annual Baby Shower benefits our foster program and provides foster homes the supplies needed to care for over 500 kittens and puppies that will come into the humane society this year. By sending donations of KMR formula, puppy pads and other essential items to the shelter, you’re ensuring the homeless kittens and puppies get the very best possible start to life. Supporters can donate supplies by shopping at their local pet supply store or by purchasing items online from our Amazon and Chewy Wish Lists.
Formula (puppy & kitten)
Kitten bottles/Nursing kits
Zymox Topical Cream
Puppy nail clippers
Puppy teething toys
Tarps/vinyl shower curtains
Non-clumping cat litter
CR2032 lithium batteries for our scales
For just $100 a kitten liter or $200 a puppy litter, your sponsorship will provide life-saving supplies to help the litter thrive during their stay with LPCHS and their foster family. You will receive updates, photos and adoption stories about your sponsored litter. Contact our Foster Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-259-2847 x109 to sponsor a litter!
Not ready to adopt? Consider becoming a foster parent. You can make an immediate and lasting impact on an animals life as a foster parent. Foster parents provide crucial loving care and housing for animals in need of a quiet space and individual attention. Our program finds temporary and long-term homes for animals that might need extra time and a chance to thrive before finding their forever homes. Animals get one-on-one attention in the comfort of your home and can be just what they need to relax and heal. Fosters also provide hospice care to animals that have a limited time left due to age or medical issues.
What are foster parents?
Foster parents are volunteers of La Plata County Humane Society who temporarily host animals with medical or behavioral needs, mothers nursing their litters, underage animals who need special feeding and socialization, or elderly animals.
Animals may need foster care for many reasons, primarily if the animal is:
- Too young
- Recovering from illness
- Senior animals
- Animals waiting to be transferred
- Animals transferred into La Plata County Humane Society from surrounding areas and other shelters
- Complete a Foster Application and have it approved by our Foster Coordinator
- Must be 21-years of age or older
- Have consent from your landlord, if renting
- All household pets must be up-to-date on their vaccinations
- Have a dedicated space where foster pets an be isolated from other pets that can be sterilized
- Understand fosters must be isolated from other pets for at least 7-10 days
- Complete an online orientation annually
- Inform Foster Coordinator if you move to a new residence
- Understand young fosters have not been fully vaccinated and need to be kept on a clean surface. We prefer animals are not brought outside, bur if you must, please keep them on a sterile surface outside.
- Have adequate transportation to and from the shelter, while foster animals(s) are in your care
- Allow LPCHS team member to inspect the area of the home in which the foster animal(s) will be kept
How to Apply:
Download, complete and email a Foster Care Application to our Foster Coordinator. You may drop the application off to our Foster Care Team at the shelter, please but be sure to call (970) 259-2847 to make sure a team member is available.
Download and carefully read the Foster Care Handbook & Quick Guide.
After your application has been submitted and reviewed, you will be contacted by our Foster Coordinator to schedule an interview and a home visit. La Plata County Humane Society and state law require a home visit for all new foster parents. During this visit, our Foster Care team will come to your home to get to know you and your family.
Congratulations on becoming foster parent!
As animals become available for foster, you will receive communication with details about the pets available and you may choose to foster as you prefer. You will receive support from our Foster Care team and Medical Services team.