Join Our Team
Are you passionate about helping animals? Are you dedicated, hard-working and driven? LPCHS employees are committed to animal welfare and are always looking for compassionate and talented individuals to join our team.
Please submit the following when applying for a position within our organization.
- Letter of inquiry
- La Plata County Humane Society Shelter Application or Thrift Store Application to contact below.
Elisabeth Schenk, Senior Supervisor at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Guthrie Hardesty, Director of Thrift Store & Re-Tail Boutique at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Veterinarian – Full Time
La Plata County Humane Society, a private 501 (c) 3 organization, in Durango, seeks Veterinarian licensed in Colorado. Knowledge of Animal Shelter medicine helpful. Routine general medical care for approximately 3,000 animals a year. High-volume spay/neuter required, as well as limited soft-tissue surgeries. Provides public spay/neuter and dental clinics each month. Approximately 25-30 hours per week of on-site care, with occasional after-hours emergency care. On-call required. Acts as Medical Director of facility and oversees Medical Dept. Works with management team and executive director.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Pricing Expert
The La Plata County Humane Society Thrift Store is currently accepting applications for a Pricing Specialist. This full-time position will be responsible for ensuring fair and accurate prices for a diverse selection of products. Candidates will have proven experience in pricing clothing, accessories, furniture, art, jewelry, and antiques. Engaging position and work for a local non-profit, while maximizing funds for our community animal shelter!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding customer service within the Thrift Store.
- Research and price a wide array of donated goods.
- Work with all Staff to verify pricing accuracy.
- Investigate antiques, rare items, and any other donations.
- Assist and train volunteers to help sort items.
- Help in all departments – store and warehouse.
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Extensive retail and customer service background.
- Ability to effectively research and price unique items.
- Non-profit experience is a plus.
- Very busy store and high-traffic warehouse environment.
- Close proximity to the animal shelter.
- Varying staff and volunteers daily.
Please apply in person at the Thrift Store or email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Animal Protection Officer
La Plata County Humane Society is seeking Animal Protection Officers to enforce animal-related ordinances for La Plata County & the City of Durango, to protect the public, manage the animal population and educate the public about responsible pet ownership.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols City/ County streets responding to complaints and determines appropriate action
- Captures, impounds or quarantines strays, injured, vicious, or wild animals and those capable of transmitting rabies
- Investigates and mediates neighborhood complaints pertaining to animals
- Determines if violations of City/ County ordinances have occurred
- Gathers evidence, issues warnings/summonses, conducts inspections and applicable follow-up, writes formal reports and testifies in court
- Attends and makes recommendations at disposition hearings
- Troubleshoots animal behavior problems in the field and over the telephone
- Promotes responsible pet ownership and pet care in classrooms, at booths, fairs, through media contacts, etc. as needed
- Inputs, updates and maintains information about field, kennel and animal activities via computer
- Adheres to vehicle maintenance schedule and performs daily vehicle and standard equipment safety checks
- Performs shelter, kennel and public education duties as required
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: 1-2 years previous experience handling and caring for animals, and/or ordinance/code enforcement experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered but not required.
Must be able to work weekends and on-call shifts, have a clean driving record, applicant must be able to pass background check. All applicants must be 21 years of age or older.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Director of Animal Control
La Plata County Humane Society is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities in all areas of occupation without regard to age, ancestry, color, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, serious medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or veteran status, according to state and federal laws.