Join Our Team
Are you passionate about helping animals? Are you dedicated, hard-working and driven? LPCHS employees are committed to animal welfare and are always looking for compassionate and talented individuals to join our team.
Please submit the following when applying for a position within our organization.
- Letter of inquiry
- La Plata County Humane Society Shelter Application or Thrift Store Application to the contact below.
Liz Schenk, Assistant Director of Animal Services at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Candace Kane-Hedrick, Director of Thrift Store at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Travis Woehrel, Director of Animal Protection at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango Co 81303
Kennel Technician – Full Time – Starting at $14/hour
This position requires the person be punctual, dedicated and customer service oriented. To work collaboratively with others to achieve a clean and sanitary environment for the animals. Treat animals humanely with love and concern, both on and off the job. Provide accurate information and friendly service to the public. Participate in team meetings with other team members to share ideas and suggestions designed to improve the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Feed, water, and care for shelter animals.
– Clean and disinfect inside and outside dog kennels, cattery and all other areas.
– Regularly observe animal for sign of sickness.
– Administer medication to animals when needed.
– Bath, grooming and walking animals as directed by a supervisor.
– Assist public with the adoptions.
– Assist volunteers when needed.
– Perform all janitorial duties assigned.
– Must be pleasant, courteous, and professional with public at all times, no matter how difficult the situation.
– Must be 18 years of age or older.
– Able to lift 50+ lbs.
– Able to handle and restrain animals in a humane manner.
– Ability to deal with the public tactfully and effectively. Customer service in a must!
– Learn and understand principles of animal welfare, LPCHS mission and the policies of the humane society.
– Gain knowledge of the various animal breeds and vaccination policies.
– Multi-task comfortably.
To be considered for the Kennel Technician position, please submit letter of inquiry, resume and shelter application to:
Marketing & Development Manager
Thrift Store Assistant Manager – Full Time
– Assist and support other managers and staff in daily tasks and procedures
– Lead staff to maintain outstanding store conditions and excellent merchandise standards
– Other managerial duties as needed
Qualifications and Skills:
– Retail and management experience required
– Exemplary writing and verbal skills
– Customer service orientated
– Basic computer abilities – word, excel, social media platforms
– Possess ability to develop and maintain working relationships with employees
– Must be self driven and maintain excellent time management, complete paperwork accurately as well as other daily duties
– Weekends are required
– While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms. Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 lbs., frequently lift and/or move up to 35 lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
Animal Protection Officer – Full Time
La Plata County Humane Society is seeking an Animal Protection Officer to enforce animal-related ordinances for La Plata County & the City of Durango, to protect the public, manage the animal population and educate the public about responsible pet ownership.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols City/ County streets responding to complaints and determines appropriate action
- Captures, impounds or quarantines strays, injured, vicious, or wild animals and those capable of transmitting rabies
- Investigates and mediates neighborhood complaints pertaining to animals
- Determines if violations of City/ County ordinances have occurred
- Gathers evidence, issues warnings/summonses, conducts inspections and applicable follow-up, writes formal reports and testifies in court
- Attends and makes recommendations at disposition hearings
- Troubleshoots animal behavior problems in the field and over the telephone
- Promotes responsible pet ownership and pet care in classrooms, at booths, fairs, through media contacts, etc. as needed
- Inputs, updates and maintains information about field, kennel and animal activities via computer
- Adheres to vehicle maintenance schedule and performs daily vehicle and standard equipment safety checks
- Performs shelter, kennel and public education duties as required
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: 1-2 years previous experience handling and caring for animals, and/or ordinance/code enforcement experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered but not required.
Must be 21 years old and older, able to work weekends and on-call shifts, able to lift 50+ pounds, have a clean driving record and applicant must be able to pass background check.
La Plata County Humane Society is seeking Animal Protection Officers to enforce animal-related ordinances for La Plata County & the City of Durango, to protect the public, manage the animal population and educate the public about responsible pet ownership.
Please submit letter of inquiry and resume to:
Director of Animal Control
La Plata County Humane Society is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities in all areas of occupation without regard to age, ancestry, color, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, serious medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or veteran status, according to state and federal laws.