Join Our Team
Are you passionate about helping animals? Are you dedicated, hard-working and driven? LPCHS employees are committed to animal welfare and are always looking for compassionate and talented individuals to join our team.
Please submit the following when applying for a position within our organization.
- Letter of inquiry
- La Plata County Humane Society Shelter Application or Thrift Store Application to the contact below.
Liz Schenk, Assistant Director of Animal Services at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Candace Kane-Hedrick, Director of Thrift Store at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Thrift Store Assistant Manager – Full Time
To serve as the support and back up for the Thrift Store Manager. The Assistant Manager will follow the direction and report to the Thrift Store Manager any issues regarding employees and procedures.
– Good written and verbal skills
– Competent in computer skills such as Social Media, Digital Sales, Word processing and Excel Spreadsheets
– Retail and management experience required
– Possess ability to develop and maintain a working relationship with employees
– Ability to complete paperwork accurately in a timely manner, possess time management skills and work independently
– Organized and be detail oriented
– Weekends required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Thrift Store Applications are available online or at the Thrift Store between the hours of 10am – 4pm daily.
Kennel Technician – Full Time
This position requires the person be punctual, dedicated and customer service oriented. To work collaboratively with others to achieve a clean and sanitary environment for the animals.
Treat animals humanely with love and concern, both on and off the job. Provide accurate information and friendly service to the public. Participate in team meetings with other team members to share ideas and suggestions designed to improve the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Feed, water, and care for shelter animals.
– Clean and disinfect inside and outside dog kennels, cattery and all other areas.
– Regularly observe animal for sign of sickness.
– Administer medication to animals when needed.
– Bath grooming and walking animals as directed by a supervisor.
– Assist public with the adoption of animals.
– Assist volunteers when needed.
– Perform all janitorial duties assigned.
– Must be pleasant, courteous, and professional with public at all times, no matter how
difficult the situation.
– Must be 18 years of age or older.
– Able to lift 50lbs.
– Able to handle and restrain animals in a humane manner.
– Ability to deal with the public tactfully and effectively. Customer service in a must!
– Learn and understand principles of animal welfare and policies of the humane society.
– Gain knowledge of the various breeds of animals, vaccinations and euthanasia policies.
– Multi-task comfortably.
La Plata County Humane Society is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities in all areas of occupation without regard to age, ancestry, color, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, serious medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or veteran status, according to state and federal laws.