Join Our Team
Are you passionate about helping animals? Are you dedicated, hard-working and driven? LPCHS employees are committed to animal welfare and are always looking for compassionate and talented individuals to join our team.
Please submit the following when applying for a position within our organization.
- Letter of inquiry
- La Plata County Humane Society Shelter Application or Thrift Store Application to contact below.
Elisabeth Schenk, Senior Supervisor at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Guthrie Hardesty, Director of Thrift Store & Re-Tail Boutique at 1111 S. Camino del Rio, Durango CO 81303
Shelter Receptionist, Full Time
La Plata County Humane Society is currently accepting applications for Shelter Receptionist. This position is the first face of the shelter, sharing information about our services to the community, animal admissions, adoptions, scheduling intake and check-out of patients in our clinic and other assigned duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handle all incoming calls, adoptions to forever homes, pet licensing, scheduling appointments for services over the phone to assist clients in making appointments and arriving prepared for those services.
- Open clinic – prepare lobby and restrooms for clients, public, and staff, prepare cash drawer
- Check clients in/out
- Effectively communicate our services and pricing to our clients
- Complete reports detailing sales, reconcile cash drawer and prepare deposit
- At least 1 year of customer service experience
- Experience in the animal welfare preferred
- Experience with computer database systems, Microsoft Office
- Effective communication, organization, and customer service skills
- Spanish language speaking ability a plus but not required
- Has a positive attitude, is conscientious and shows initiative
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once in a fast-paced environment
- Office and animal shelter environment
- Potential exposure to high noise levels and zoonotic diseases
- Frequent use of computer, phone, fax and copy machines
Please email letter inquiry and resume to Crystal Coffey, Office Manger or apply in person during normal business hours.
Thrift Store Specialists – Part Time
La Plata County Humane Society is now hiring exceptional Thrift Store Specialists! Candidates will be self-motivated, beyond friendly, and possess a discerning eye for detail. Must be able to move quickly, think critically, and lift heavy furniture. Kind, careful, considerate individuals given priority. Weekends mandatory. Must apply in person. Fill out an application and submit letter of inquiry and resume to Guthrie Hardesty, Director of Thrift Store & Re-Tail Boutique.
La Plata County Humane Society is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities in all areas of occupation without regard to age, ancestry, color, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, serious medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or veteran status, according to state and federal laws.